Auto suspension is a system of tyres, springs, shock absorbers and linkages connecting a vehicle to its wheels, as well as absorbing its weight. Shock absorption, road handling, and corner turning of an auto are reliant on suspension capabilities.
Automobile tyres are made of rubber are integral to suspension road handling. High quality tyres supply the dynamic propulsion of a vehicle on the road. If tires are faulty, worn out, or under-inflated, a vehicle’s suspension will not be able to optimise performance.
Air in the Tyres
If tread is wearing down, has bald spots, or is uneven, tyre pressure will be uneven, resulting in ride discomfort and gas mileage inefficiency. It is also a signal that suspension is not functioning normally.
Bounce control from coil or leaf springs buffers a vehicle from bumps and potholes. The tighter the spring, the better the steering, yet looser springs provide a smooth ride.
Shock absorbers support vehicle springs in buffering rebound from any damage that could be sustained from minor bumps and potholes in the road.
A strut system connects the coils and shock absorbers in a conventional suspension system, creating an interacting single unit support of a car’s wheels with springs.
Connecting the coils, shock absorbers, strut and tires on a vehicle, the linkages affect overall control of a vehicle in motion. Linkages ensure that passengers ride in comfortable by supporting suspension impact from bumps, vibrations, and road noise.
Suspension System Installations
The model of suspension system in a vehicle depends on type of auto, and driving capabilities. If a vehicle is front-wheel, back-wheel, or 4WD, will have something to do with the type of suspension system installed. Suspension affords up and down movement of springs, dampers, and wheels, without little impact to the integrity of the body of a vehicle. It also allows for the front wheels to pivot freely on steering turns. In the case of non-independent suspension, a rear-wheel-drive car will have a live axle; comprised of drive shafts and gears. Four-wheel-drive vehicles will also have a live front axle. The use of a dead axle on vans and lorries will have springs and links designed to control for sideways movement.
There are five types of independent suspension systems in use.
- The double wishbone suspension systems are stacked one above the other, to control for wheel shifts. Vehicles having double-wishbone suspension have independent suspension attached to the body or sub-frame of a vehicle, instead of sharing a common axle.
- Mac Pherson-strut suspension systems can be mounted in both the front and the rear of a vehicle.
- Suspension mounted on front wheels, enables for the whole strut to swivel according to steering, while allowing the wheel to remain upright, and brakes force to be implemented at maximum speeds.
- Trailing arm suspension systems are attached to a vehicle’s wheel hub at one end, and extended forward to pivot on the frame. With a trailing arm suspension system installation, the rear wheel hub is attached to a broadened V axle, with two arms extended forward for pivot on the frame. A differential is mounted to the frame, with drive shafts having universal joints.
- Swing axle suspension may be installed at the front or rear of the vehicle, with a beam axle cut in half and pivots attached to the frame.
Safety and vehicle support are the two most important criteria for suspension installation. Automakers are now offering more in the way of high performance suspension systems than ever. With so many new suspension parts and components on the market, auto owners can find a solution to most models and driving dynamics with assistance from a licenced technician. The most important aspect of suspension is that is remain intact. Critical to the overall drive and long-term integrity of a vehicle’s body, suspension is the hidden factor behind professional driving. Protect yourself while driving on rough roads. Maximum safety and performance, as well as gas mileage, handling, and ride to road responsiveness conversion is all possible with good suspension.